Anido, Alfredo Ignatius

Alfredo Ignatius Anido

Born: April 27, 1921

Hometown: San Francisco, CA Class: 1944

Service: USN Position / Rank: Ensign

Date / Place of death: December 18, 1944 / North Pacific,

approx 14-57’N, 127-58’E

Date / Place of burial: December 18, 1944 / North Pacific,

approx 14-57’N, 127-58’E / Tablets of the Missing,

Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines

Age: 23

Although Academy records list his name as Alfredo I. Anido, Navy and other records identify him as Alfred Anido. In any event, Ensign Alfred Anido, a 1944 graduate of the Cadet Corps from San Francisco, was serving as Assistant Engineering Officer on the USS Hull (DD 350) in December 1944. The ship was assigned to the Third Fleet, commanded by Vice Admiral William F. “Bill” Halsey, USN.

The Hull had been operating as one of three ships screening four fleet oilers (Task Unit
30.8.3) servicing Task Force 38. On December 17 while the oilers refueled the Task Force’s six heavy carriers, seven light carriers, eight battleships, 15 cruisers and 50 destroyers, the Hull scurried from ship to ship delivering mail. Late in the afternoon of
17 December the increasingly heavy seas caused the Task Force Commander to suspend all re-fueling and re-supply operations until calmer weather. Two destroyers and the escort aircraft carrier USS Cape Esperance were ordered to join the Hull’s replenishment group.

The group steamed throughout the night, in the heavy rain and mountainous seas of Typhoon Cobra, sometimes known as “Halsey’s Typhoon”. The following morning at around 1100, the group changed course to 140 degrees. Sparks were jumping back and forth between electrical and electronic equipment in the Combat Information Center due to leaky seams in the hull plating. Shortly before noon, the power of the wind and sea overwhelmed the power of the Hull’s engines and rudder, preventing the ship from steering the ordered course which would have placed the wind and seas on the Hull’s port quarter. Instead, the Hull’s course yawed between 80 and 100 degrees, putting the wind and seas square on the Hull’s port side. The Hull began rolling so heavily that solid water was forced into the intakes for the boiler forced draft blowers in the Forward Fire Room, putting the forward boilers out of commission.

The crew in the engine room did what they could, but communications with the bridge were spotty. Ensign Anido was on the ship’s bridge manning the sound powered telephones to the engine room, but had great difficulty in hearing because of the tremendous noise of the storm.

Lieutenant Commander James A. Marks, the Hull’s Commanding Officer, stated in his after action report that,

“At a time I estimate roughly about 1130 the seas were mountainous and the wind increased to hurricane proportions… considerable damage was occurring as the storm became worse . . . at this point no man could have possible existed in an exposed position topside . . . The bridge structure itself was under such great strain that I was greatly concerned that the structure itself or a portion thereof might be torn off the ship . . . the performance of duty by officers and crew was at all times high creditable previous to and subsequent to the loss of the ship. Orders were promptly and quietly carried out and there was no confusion.”

Shortly after noon, the wind velocity increased to an estimated 110 knots, and the ship was laid steadily over on her starboard side at an angle of 80 degrees. Water flooded the upper structures, and the ship began to sink. The Captain remained on the port
wing of the bridge until the water flooded up to him, and then stepped off the bridge into the seas. The Captain was among only five officers and 36 enlisted men who survived the sinking and were later picked up by the USS Tabberer (DE-418). Among the 202 men missing and declared dead was Ensign Alfred Anido.

Alfred Anido was the youngest of Mrs. Remidios Perez Anido’s three sons. Crew Lists on file at the Port of New York indicate that Cadet-Midshipman Alfred Anido signed on aboard the Liberty Ship SS Frederick Remington as Engine Cadet on May 16, 1943.
He is described as standing 5′ 11″ tall, weighed 175# and had a burn scar on his chest. According to the 1930 U.S. Census, Alfred’s mother, Remidios, who was born in Spain, worked as a housekeeper while raising her three boys, Frank, Henry and Alfred.

USS Hull 1(DD 350) (Photo)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.