Sherman, Edward Stanley

Edward Stanley Sherman
Born: September 22, 1923
Hometown: Port Jefferson, NY
Class: 1943
Service: Merchant Marine
Position / Rank: Second Mate
Date / Place of death: January 15, 1945 / Norfolk
Harbor, Virginia
Date / Place of burial: Unknown
Age: 21

Edward S. Sherman was sworn in as a Midshipman, MMR, USNR on September 18,
1942. During his Sea Year Edward Sherman and his classmate, Arthur Forsyth, signed
on as Deck Cadets aboard the SS Caleb Strong on November 5, 1942. Upon signing
off of the Caleb Strong on March 2, 1943, Edward Sherman returned to Kings Point and
graduated on December 10, 1943. On December 15, 1943 he was commissioned an
Ensign, USNR. He received his U.S. Coast Guard License as Third Mate, Ocean,
Unlimited on December 30, 1943.

Following graduation Edward Sherman signed on as Acting Second Mate aboard the
SS Robert F. Stockton at New York, NY on January 20, 1944 and signed off on
November 15,1944. As with his previous ship, Edward Sherman was joined by Arthur
Forsyth, who signed on and off on the same days as Third Mate. At the time they
signed on aboard the Stockton Edward Sherman is shown as having one month more
sea time than Forsyth, which is perhaps why Sherman was designated as Acting
Second Mate.

The two men signed on as Second and Third Mate again aboard the SS Zebulon Pike
on December 28,1944 at the port of New York. The ship sailed from New York to
Norfolk, VA on January 1, to load cargo. On January 15, 1945 at 1900, Edward
Sherman and Arthur Forsyth left their vessel. According to the Zebulon Pike’s Official
Log Book, at 0245 on January 16, the Master was informed by Norfolk Police that the
two men apparently commandeered a taxi, drove the taxi into a body of water and
drowned. According to an account of the incident published on January 16, 1945 in the
Norfolk Virginia Pilot, the taxi containing the two men drove off the Chesapeake and
Ohio Terminal at the foot of Brooke Avenue into the Elizabeth River shortly before
10pm. A rescue boat was on the scene within fifteen minutes of the accident, but
neither man was found in the water. With the assistance of Navy Diver Mack
McKesson and a floating crane, which arrived on the scene at 11:30 p.m., the car was
brought to the surface at 12:25 a.m. At that time Edward Sherman’s body was found to
be floating face up outside the car with his coat caught in the door of the cab. Arthur
Forsyth’s body was still inside the cab when the car was brought to the surface.
Edward Sherman’s body was taken to the Ewell & Williamson Funeral Home while
Forsyth’s body was taken to the Cox Funeral Home for preparation for burial. Before
the ship sailed on January 18, the personal effects and wages of Edward Sherman and
Arthur Forsyth were left at the U.S. Shipping Commissioner’s office, for return to their

For his service aboard the SS Caleb Strong and SS Robert F. Stockton Edward S.
Sherman was awarded the Atlantic War Zone, Pacific War Zone and the
Mediterranean-Middle East War Zone Ribbons, the Victory Medal and the Presidential
Testimonial Letter.

Edward Sherman was the only son and youngest child Edward Stanley Sherman, Sr.
Edward’s sister, Hope, was two years older. According to Edward’s birth certificate his
mother, and presumably Hope’s, was Florence E. Wiemer Sherman. However, by
1940 Edward Sherman, Sr. was married to Edith Sherman, who is shown as Edward’s
next of kin in several documents. Edward, Sr.’s occupation in 1940 is shown as being a
Teacher, although earlier documents indicate that he had been a Fire Fighter in the
1920’s when Edward was born. Although the Sherman family spent most of Edward’s life
living in Connecticut, the family moved to Port Jefferson, NY on Long Island which is
where Edward graduated from High School in 1941.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.